Sunday, August 31, 2008

Huntington Botanical Gardens






Spent the day at the Huntington Botanical Gardens. Yes, we actually went on a day that it was open. Lots of really interesting things there. One of the coolest was a preying mantis that Ralph spotted on a trumpet vine. I even saw it catch a bug, and came *this close* to getting that on video. I clicked the "record" button just as it made its grab, so it starts with the bug being yanked away and not actually being grabbed first. I also liked the little fountains in the Children's Garden; they were pots of water, and every few seconds a big "bloop" of water would pop out of a small hole next to the pot, and land inside it. The lake at the Japanese Garden was very peaceful--we sat at a table next to it to eat the lunch we packed--with big koi in the water and dragonflies flying around. We spent three hours there which was both not long enough (we didn't see even half of the place) and a bit too long (my knee aches & even with SPF 50 sunblock I think I got a bit of a burn). After we got home I sat in my green chair & read until I woke up :-)

I just noticed that the last picture is kind of difficult to make out. It's the preying mantis we saw, eating the head off the bug it caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment