Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Learn something new every day

Did you know that the Huntington Botanical Garden is closed on Tuesday? Neither did we. Ended up at the Los Angeles Botanical Garden instead. I didn't even know the place existed (I love my GPS!!). We had a wonderful time. They have lots of peacocks there & I got some good shots. We took waaaaaay too many pictures of the black-crowned night heron (especially after he caught a fish & tried for about 20 minutes to swallow the thing). There were some kids playing in a sprinkler, and I started to take some shots but unfortunately they saw the camera and started to show off. All the naturalness and spontaneity were gone so I only took two pictures, neither of which are much good. There was a lovely waterfall, and ever so many dragonflies. Oh, and there were some nice plants too. We were there for pretty close to three hours and only saw about half of the place. We would have liked to have stayed longer, but we were both starting to feel a little ill in the heat (100 degrees!) plus our lunch was in the car (in an insulated bag with some blue ice to keep it cool). After we rested, ate, and cooled off in the A/C we just didn't have the heart to go back out into that brutal heat. We will have to go again some day & see the rest. I've got about 40 pictures from the day posted on Flickr if any of the Teeming Millions are interested in having a peek.



Either Sis is having computer issues, or her life is very dull, as she didn't post anything yesterday, and when I checked a couple minutes ago there was still nothing new. Doesn't she know it is her *duty* to keep me entertained?

Thinking about maybe going to Johnny Reb's for dinner tonight. I love their sweet potato fries, and some good Southern BBQ sounds mighty tasty. I really would like to go; we'll see if Ralph is hungry enough to go out in a bit or if I'll have to fend for myself in our scantily-stocked kitchen. However, I am certain that there is nothing in that kitchen that will even come close to Johnny Reb's sweet potato fries.



Our baby mollies are almost big enough to put in the main tank. I'm a little worried that they'll get eaten if we do it now, so have been using delay tactics to keep Ralph from transferring them just yet. Unfortunately my most effective one ("They'll get sucked into the filter") won't be valid much longer as most of them are fat enough to no longer fit through the slots.


Well, I guess that's just about it for today. No plans for tomorrow yet, although I'm sure we'll find something to do. This has been a very good vacation so far. I feel so much more relaxed & have been having a wonderful time. Wish I could do this about once a month :-)

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I check out your blog almost every day. Your pictures are amazing, and it's great fun to read you blog.
    Here's a stall tactic for your baby fish. "They need to bond with one another before they go into the big tank to meet strangers. " :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's nice to know that someone other than my sister reads it :-) I'll try the "need to bond" tactic the next time Ralph suggests moving the babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny - I must have checked your blog just before you posted this, and I was surprised that you didn't have anything posted. Except I was nice, and didn't complain. This time.

    ReplyDelete