Sunday, August 3, 2008

Starting a new shawl


Well, sort of. I started spinning the yarn for it anyway. I was planning on making the Bigfoot Shawl from "Wrapped in Comfort," however this is coming out far more blue than I expected & I'm not sure it's the right color for that pattern. Still, there are other colors blended into the roving & this may look quite different when it is plied, so We Shall See. There are some other patterns in the book that I think will look very good with this sky blue, so maybe I'll make one of those and save the Bigfoot pattern for another day.

Dad sent me some photos of the alpacas from which I will be getting some fleece. They are so adorable! The one with the "beard" makes me think of an Amish man. I've never cleaned fleece before, so this will be an experience. Wonder how much I will get? I don't think it will be a whole fleece, but if I get at least 8 ounces of usable fiber after cleaning I will have enough to make an alpaca shawl. Mmmmmm . . . 4 ounces will be enough for gloves, or a hat, or a scarf. Oooh, or I could alter the sheep puppet pattern a bit and make an alpaca puppet! Make the ears a little longer and more upright, narrow the nose a tad. . . yes, that could work.

Last night we walked to Chee's for dinner. This is a very old Chinese restaurant about 3 blocks from our house. How old, you ask? Well, the phone number on the sign outside starts with "GA 7." And yes, that is still their current number! I had some fabulous egg foo young and their special house rice (fried rice with baby shrimp, chicken, and bbq pork in it). Ralph had the special rice too (it was actually part of his order & I just stole some of it) and the Three Ingredients (a chicken/beef/shrimp mix with bell peppers served over steamed rice). I ate the last bit of foo young & a bit of the special rice for breakfast. And now I want more of both.

Today's plans: clean house so when we go on our camping trip we don't come home to a mess; buy a collar for Sadie and possibly sign her up for obedience class (if Neighbor D does come home, it will be easier on him if she knows a few things such as sit, stay, and come); get the trailer ready for our trip; read and knit and spin. And whatever else sounds interesting as the day goes along. Oh, there was a movie I want to see that started on Friday. . . what the heck is it? Anyway, maybe we'll go to the movies.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you posted the same alpaca pic I used! Great minds and all that ...

    ReplyDelete