Saturday, August 9, 2008

Awake? Why am I awake?


5:23 on Saturday morning, and I've been up for almost an hour & a half. Insomnia sucks.

Taking advantage of a new blogger feature: the blog list. I like how it shows the most recent post. You'll notice there's a new blog there: simple knits. It's got a listing there of 500 easy knitting projects that use 285 yards or less. I found the link today on Ravelry, and am hoping to find something nice to do with the yarn left from my shawl.

Went to see "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" yesterday. Ralph's choice of movie; I would have preferred to see "Mummy III" but the showtimes worked out better for HB. Actually, there weren't any movies listed that I really *wanted* to see, so I wasn't going to make a fuss over HB vs. Mummy. I was not impressed with HB though; jumped around too much, got way too smarmy in a couple places, and took way too long to get to the Golden Army part (a short intro at the beginning so you know what the Golden Army is, then you finally get to them again at the climax of the movie). Also, there were a couple spots that were way too predictable. Example SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! The ogre has this metal fist that he shoots out to smash things/people, then it automatically hauls back to his wrist with a long chain. Hellboy is standing in front of these huge spiked cylinder-shaped gears. (You can see where this is going already, can't you?) Sure enough, ogre shoots out the fist, HB jumps to the side, fist goes into gears, ogre pulled in after & suffers gruesome death (fortunately, most of the gruesome is left to the viewer's imagination). END OF SPOILER. There were a few saving graces: John Hurt has a small role in the beginning (he's my fave actor ever); Roy Dotrice (the father on the old TV show "Beauty & the Beast" as well as being the real-life father of the actress who played Jane Banks in "Mary Poppins) has a small role as the elf king; good effects; nice make-up work. Not worth paying full price at the theater though.

Not sure what we're going to do today. I double-checked my coupon for the bookstore; it expires today, not tomorrow, so I guess I'll be going there. Ralph got a bad sunburn yesterday, which means pretty much no outdoor activities for us. Another quiet day, which isn't a bad thing. I can get some more knitting done (did 6 rounds of the orangutan leg last night), and some spinning, and finish the book I am reading. There have been worse days.

No comments:

Post a Comment