Sunday, July 27, 2008

Halfway through the weekend

Neighbor D is back in the hospital. Looks pretty bad this time; his friend Nurse M thinks he will be in the hospital at least a week & then will need to go to a convalescent home. Nurse M & his partner R will be taking care of the household things; Ralph & I are taking care of D's pets.




Ralph is having a D & D game today. Normally I make good my escape for those, but just don't feel like going anywhere today. I have lots to keep myself entertained--books, spinning, knitting, playing with the GGs, the camera--so it should be a good day. I am going to bake a cake for the guys in a few minutes. The game starts in 2 hours which will just give it enough time to cool enough for icing before they get here. I wanted to make a black magic cake, however earlier this morning I discovered that a) we are out of baking soda and b) ants like sugar. Fortunately I have a cake mix in the cupboard & that will work out just fine. Even if it's not black magic or even chocolate of any sort.



Two more shots from the OC Fair. The top one is of a pie server that looked like a little dachsund with a very long face. I just thought it was really cute. I couldn't really get a good picture of it though. This one turned out the best I think. It was part of a collection of dachsund-related knickknacks. That's one of the weird things to me about the Fair. They have competitions for "collections." Well, geeze, it's not like the people made the items, it's just things they own. Doesn't feel like something worth judging. But then again, no one asked me ;-)




The second picture is looking down the glass display of treats in the candy competition. They really looked yummy! The only thing is, it's fine & dandy to have displays & see who got ribbons, but it doesn't really mean anything when you can't taste them & see if you agree with the judges. I mean, I can look at the artwork, quilts, knitted items, etc. and say "Yeah, I like this" or "What were the judges thinking?" But when it's something being judged for its taste, well . . . just kind of . . . not frustrating exactly, nor disappointing, but. . . I guess I just don't feel as "involved."

2 comments:

  1. No, what you feel is gypped because there is that huge display of apparent yumminess and you don't get any of it.

    ReplyDelete