Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Got 'em!!

Ha! I remembered the camera today and got a few shots of the turkey buzzards. I think these two came out pretty well. They are very large birds; for those of you among the Teeming Millions who are unfamiliar with them, they get to be more than two feet tall with a six foot wingspan. Or, to put it in more perspective, these birds were sitting at the top of a four story building when I took the pictures. Just look at how large they look in the long shot!









Forgot to mention, Ralph & I were trying to figure out what you would call a group of baby fish. Kittens & puppies are a litter, chicks are a brood. Ralph finally came up with the perfect name: a pre-school.








Speaking of Ralph, he brought Greek food for lunch from my favorite Greek restaurant. Not just for me, but enough to share with MP, VG and CE too, with a little leftover for me to eat at work tomorrow. Isn't he a sweetheart?










More on the fair: one of my favorite displays was this ratatouille garden. The soup pots contain the vegetables needed to prepare the dish, while the nearby sign tells you how to make it. Seems really easy, although I wish it had specified the herbs. Still, I just may have to give it a try someday since I do like ratatouille. They also had a display with peppers & tomatoes growing in a barbeque, with a recipe for fresh salsa. That amused me, as the comic strip "Overboard" recently had Capt. Crowe, Charlie & Louie the dog walking past a barbeque that someone had converted to a garden. Capt. Crowe pointed it out, saying how clever it was. Charlie responded, "Creative" while Louie was thinking "Sacrilige!"










And of course, the baby animals always are a crowd pleaser. This is a baby angora goat. Angoras produce spinnable fiber called mohair, which is a very nice fiber indeed. This little guy was all covered in wood shavings from his bedding; glad I don't have to groom him :-) His sire was at the fair too, but I wasn't able to get a good picture of him at all. Young angora goats have very curly locks, but it straightens as they grow up. Kid mohair is very popular amongst some spinners, although the one time I tried it I was disappointed with how poorly the seller had "cleaned" and dyed it. Maybe it's normal to sell it that way, but what I had was greasy, full of dander, and went from being fire-engine red to what basically looked like what's left when the ice melts in the last few drops of fruit punch.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Turkey Buzzards! Used to get 'em practically in the backyard on Valle Vista. They're impressive in the early mornings, when they sit with outstretched wings to gather the warmth from the sun.

    ReplyDelete