Saturday, June 14, 2008

Dress code


Can't believe I forgot to post about this yesterday. I went to HR at work to ask about the "T-shirt." There were three people in the office when I went in. I asked if the shirt I was wearing was appropriate for everyday work wear, and was told "yneos." That is to say, one person said "yes" while another simultaneously responded "no" and the third person said nothing. Obviously the dress code is perfectly clear & unambiguous since even the HR people can't agree on it! Eventually they all came to be of one accord in the matter: I should wait for CL to get back from lunch & ask her. Sigh. So I went back after my lunch & asked CL, who said absolutely not because it was a t-shirt. I said that I didn't consider it as such but rather a knit top, and asked her for the definition of a t-shirt. She said "a cotton shirt with stitching on the outside" (translation: "any shirt that is comfortable to wear in the 90+ degree weather we've been having lately.") Sigh. That describes 90% of my formerly work shirts. Guess I'll be going shopping this weekend.


Anyway, a couple hours later she sent out an e-mail "clarifying" the dress code (apparently I wasn't the only person who had been asking questions about it lately). It had a sheet of pictures of what is & is not acceptable as "business casual." Sheesh, it's even more confusing than the old dress code sheet. The pictures don't say *why* it is or is not acceptable. There was one skirt that was on the "no" list that really had me wondering. It came just above the knee (was it too short?), appeared to be made of light cotton (too casual a fabric?) and had a sort of an "Americana" print (are print skirts not allowed?or was it the "country fair" feel of the pattern?). How can you avoid the "no" if you don't know what part of it puts it on the list? Oh, and both walking shorts AND capris were on the "not acceptable" list.


Speaking of clothes, the Brown Socks That Will Never Be Finished--are finished!! Woo hoo!

2 comments:

  1. What about walking shorts that are "nice" enough to be slacks? And you should point out (if you don't want to keep your job, that is)that ALL clothing has stitching on the outside. It is what holds it together. Cuffs, collars and hems come immediately to mind...


    YAY for finishing the unfinishable the socks! (sounds like a line from a song, doesn't it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By "stitching on the outside" she meant "the hem/collar/whatever was stitched with the outside of the fabric facing up, rather than facing down, when it was on the sewing machine." However, today I am wearing the shirt I had on the day that someone mentioned that I was wearing a t-shirt, and while it *is* cotton, it does NOT have stitching on the outside.

    ReplyDelete