Friday, May 2, 2008

Feeling a little down

Got a bit of the blues today, so if you don't want to "hear" me whine I suggest skipping today's post. I don't even have any fun pictures to post.

It was a LONG day today. Got to work about 6:30 am & helped set up The Last Breakfast. It was actually pretty tasty, and really the only pleasant thing that happened all day. I ate all kinds of things that I probably shouldn't have and a couple that weren't so bad for me: chicken sausage (two helpings), a slice of lemon cake, two brownie bites, some berries, and half a bagel with honey/walnut cream cheese all washed down with orange juice and so-called iced coffee. Packed up the last few items in anticipation of The Big Move to Ontario, and then pretty much had nothing to do for most of the morning because everything was in boxes.

After lunch I said my goodbyes, loaded up the car with the last of the boxes and headed to Ontario at around 2:00 pm. Traffic wasn't too bad; it's a 47-mile drive from the old office to the new one & I made it in just over an hour. Looked around a bit, then unloaded all my boxes. I took a few photos before going home:


This is Lars's office. Lars does the same job I do, although my title includes the word "senior" in it and I don't know if his does or not. Comparing the size of the chair to the rest of the room, and bearing in mind that the window on the left is actually the same size as the one in the center plus I took the picture from the doorway at an angle so there's about another three feet to the wall on the right, you can get a good feel for how large it actually is. This office says "A Person of Importance Works Here."


This is Patrick's office. The one that was originally supposed to be mine. The window on the right is the same size as the one in the middle; the room isn't quite as large as the one Lars has, but it's pretty close. This office says "Treat Occupant with Respect."


This is my shoebox, I mean cubicle. It's about 2/3 the size of the one I had in Irvine. The desk has two "branches" of work space whereas my old one had three; I have one shelf instead of two (and it's smaller than either of my old ones); my desk drawers are letter size instead of legal and the one on top is filled with supplies left by the previous occupant. There is no room for my radio so I brought that home, and because most of the wall space won't take a push pin I can't even hang my cartoons & pictures to make it a little more cheery. This is without a doubt the smallest work space I have ever had in my life. This cubicle says "Second Class Citizen of Little Worth." OK, I know it doesn't really say that, but it's how I feel. When I left work I looked at these pictures in the car and started to cry, and looking at them now I can feel the tears again. I know, it's just an office, but it hurts, dammit. And I'm probably going to regret posting this because I know a couple of people I work with have my blog address and will probably see it, but right now I really don't give a tinker's cuss.

Then to top it all off, an accident on the freeway added more than half an hour to my 51-mile drive home, so even though I left at 5:00 pm I didn't get home until a bit after 6:30. As grateful as I am not to have been *in* the accident, it was still frustrating.

What a pisser of a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment