Sunday, May 11, 2008

Words

I like how this picture came out, even if it's not what I was trying to take a picture of. About a nanosecond before I pressed the shoot button, there was a bee crawling on the flowers. No clue what kind of a plant this is; it's in our backyard & when it's in full flower it attracts the bees like crazy. When I was a kid in La Mirada, we had a hedge of this plant in the front yard. The flowers, while small, have a fairly strong, sweet scent.

I had a "Sally" this morning, which got me to thinking about the words Ralph & I use with each other:

Sally: a headache. From "Nightmare Before Christmas," when Dr. Finkelstein awakes with a frog's breath hangover and calls for Sally.
Brainsucker: computer. Also, to brainsuck: waste time on the computer by surfing the net, playing computer games, posting to Blogger, etc.
Godbox: TV remote. He (or she) that has the remote is the god of the TV and determines what show we watch.
Dishtoad: cloth used for washing dishes, particularly a cloth that has been in the sink too long and has that distinctive dishcloth stink.
My eyes are red: I'm ready (red-eye)
My, you're tall: you are driving like a lunatic, please slow down/stop tailgating/get out of that person's blind spot. From "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," wherein Ford remarks that humans insist on stating the obvious such as "My you're tall" or "So this is it; we're all going to die." Considered to be less accusative than using the latter of the two.
Ooks: dog biscuits; short version of "cookies" (the dogs know what "cookies" are, but haven't caught on to "ooks" yet)
Q: Pee, as in "I think the dogs need to Q." "Pee" is a power word (see below) which the dogs associate with going outside.
Power word: Any word or phrase the dogs understand and/or get excited over, such as "cookies," "truck," "get to go" "yes" and "share the plate."

Anyway. That's what's on my mind this morning. Back to brainsucking. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment