Monday, May 12, 2008

A touching gift


This morning, Ralph told me he had bought me a gift at the Faire yesterday. It was actually two gifts; one was a really nice pottery mug, very rounded, which holds a LOT of coffee. But the other was very special to me. It was a notecard with a sketch of a Scotsman playing a bodhrain for a fairy. Why so special, you ask? Well, the card was drawn by a friend of ours, Pat Morgan, who uses people around the Faire for his subjects, and this particular subject is a man I met when I first started working the Renaissance Faire, oh must be twenty years ago now. His name is Ian Abramowitz, or as I call him "Ian who's not with Kim." This was how I differentiated him from another Ian I met around the same time, an Ian who *was* with Kim. His name for me was "Susan who is not Linda." Although we only saw each other at Ren Faires, we became pretty good friends, and I always looked forward to seeing him. I was shocked and saddened when I learned he had passed away sometime between the San Luis Obispo Faire in July 2006 and the big Southern Faire in April 2007, and this card is a nice little memory for me.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet gift! I'm sure it'll be in Place of Honor next time I come over. Kinda surprised you didn't post a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about posting it, but figured it's probably copyrighted. The artist himself does not have a website, and I figured if he doesn't make his artwork public, I shouldn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, see - I never think about things like that and I really should!

    ReplyDelete