Sunday, May 11, 2008

Fibers

It occurred to me this morning that, considering my blog is called "Needles and Spins," I haven't posted a lot of knitting or spinning related shtuff. So here are a few fiber shots:
This is one of the yarns I'm currently spinning. It's a merino/tencel blend that I bought in Virginia in 2006, spun at 40wpi (that's "wraps per inch" for you non-spinners). It should be just right for socks when I've plied it.

One of the rovings I bought in Arizona. It's pure merino, colorway "primrose." Ralph doesn't like it, but I think he'll change his mind when he sees it spun up. At least, that's how I felt about it when I saw it in the shop. They had a spun sample and that's what convinced me to buy it.


Another merino roving from Arizona, this one in colorway "thistle." The roving is a little washed out in this picture; there is a bit more purple to it than it seems.


Love this stuff--navy blue kid mohair. Mohair is slicker than wool and thus needs to be spun more tightly than wool or it falls apart when you try to ply it. Ask me how I know this :-) Even though I was trying to avoid dark colors I couldn't resist this stuff. So shiny! A hat & scarf set, I think, or maybe gloves.


Mmmmmmm--love these colors! It's "sunset" by Louett, part of their Northern Lights line. Normally I refuse to spend more than $40 a pound for wool, but this I had to have. Besides, $50 a pound is pretty close to $40, wouldn't you say? I have eight ounces of this beautiful stuff. I'm thinking shawl, aren't you? Something lacey with a leaf-like pattern, very autumny.

1 comment:

  1. I think Primrose might make some beautiful socks for your Sis-in-Law!

    ReplyDelete