Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just call me Crankypants


I apologize to the Teeming Millions, because today's post is just going to be whining for the most part.

Had to fill the tank at lunch today. Looked online, found that the cheapest gas was at an Arco just over 3 miles away. Decided I didn't really want to drive that far, and besides the station over by the Del Taco usually has good prices so I went there instead. Big mistake--it was 8 cents a gallon higher, yikes!

Then I headed to Arby's to get food; ordered the Italian sub & a small drink. The clerk said the sandwiches were two for $5 to which I replied that I couldn't eat two of them. Then she said, "Just the sandwich, not the combo right?" and I said, "Yes, just the sandwich." Got my order, drove back to work, opened it up. What a disappointment! When the sandwiches were first introduced they came on a roll that was at least 8" long & almost 3" across, but this thing was maybe 6" by 2" and the meat layer was thinner than I remembered it being, too. After I finished eating I read & knit for a bit, and when I had about 10 minutes left it occurred to me that I had paid rather a lot for my lunch, so I pulled the receipt out of my bag. She had charged me $2.50 for the sandwich, $1.39 for the drink, $1.00 miscellaneous and a second miscellaneous charge of $1.49. WTF??? So basically I paid the same as if I had gotten either the combo or two sandwiches for just one sandwich and a small drink. What a rip-off! I only wish I'd noticed it at the time, I definitely would have complained to management. Ralph says I should take the receipt back anyway and ask them about it.

Traffic was HORRIBLE on the way home, then when I finally did arrive there was virtually no (cussword) parking. I drove past the house twice trying to find a space, and finally ended up parking about 7 houses away. It wouldn't have been so bad if it had only been cars, but tomorrow is trash day so a lot of the spaces were taken up with trash cans & recycling bins that for some reason people felt the need to place far enough apart that each pair took up eight feet of curb space. Grrrr!!!

Almost done with the fish hat; just need to put the eyes on. Unfortunately, as much as I love the colors--they look horrible on me. Sigh. Guess this will be a Christmas gift hat after all & I'll make mine in another color.

And the only amusing thing that happened today: one of the spam e-mails in my junk folder today looked pretty convincing. The sender address was from my work, and it was entitled "Christmas bonus." Of course, there were some good clues that it wasn't a genuine work e-mail. For one, it gave the sender as "tli@[company's domain].com, and our e-mail address format is different from that. Second, our company doesn't give out Christmas bonuses. But the big one for me was the fact that "bonus" was spelled as "bomus." When I read it my first thought was, "A Christmas bomus?? Thank you, Jebus!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment