Monday, October 13, 2008

What a Monday


The radio station KOST has a trivia quiz in the morning, their "Show What You Know" game. Two people call in and it's a best-of-five quiz. Today they had a theme in honor of Columbus Day. I was quite dismayed. Neither contestant knew that Columbus was born in Italy (they didn't even try to guess). Neither contestant knew that Queen Isabella financed the voyage (one guessed Queen Mary, the other Queen Elizabeth). One of them did correctly identify the "Santa Maria" as the third ship, which gave me some hope, but then came question #4: "Columbus's visit to the New World proved that the earth was what?" The same contestant gave the answer they were looking for (round), but excuse me--it was well established by 1492 that the earth was round, and the purpose of the voyage was to find an alternate trade route to the Indies (and based on that, you could consider the voyage to be a total failure). Very frustrating to listen to such a level of ignorance. I e-mailed the station when I got to work, but I doubt anything will come of it.

VERY windy today. Walking into the building lobby was like walking into a haunted house with all the moans, shrieks, and groans of the wind. Even in my office it was fairly loud; I had to turn my CD player up a bit from normal just so I could hear it, and the drafts through the not-so-airtight windows caused the blinds to sway gently. Made it very cold in the office, too; so cold that I was almost tempted to put on the socks that were in the car--the ones that I wore to the dog park. The ones covered in dog-park-dust. Ick.

I wore my new wristwarmers today. I was very glad to have them. Of course, I managed to spill hot chocolate on them, although it was only a few drops. Just enough to leave a little stain. Sigh.

Ralph & Moon have made some good progress on haunted house props, constructing a new pop-up and repairing the old one. Soon we'll be ready to start setting everything up.

No comments:

Post a Comment