Sunday, October 12, 2008

Knitting & craft fair

Had a really nice day yesterday. Started out sharing a quiet morning with Ralph, then headed out to Chino to knit with Sis, The Girl, and NM. Spent about two hours there, then we (except NM) went to the Sugar Plum Craft Fair. Saw lots of attractive items & sampled many a tasty dip, but didn't buy anything. I lucked out at the parking lot--not only did I have no trouble finding a parking space, but the ticket machine wasn't working when I got there, so the attendant just waved me through for free-a $12 savings!

I did have some problems initially with my project (the wristwarmers featured in today's picture), so I set that one aside & sewed the little duck that I had knit up earlier. I still need to attach the wings & sew on the beads for the eyes to finish it up. I frogged the wristwarmers & studied the pattern last night, then this morning was able to knit them up without trouble. The problems I had yesterday stemmed from two things: one, the pattern says to cast on 49 and it should only be 48; and two, I had the stitches divided on 4 dpns instead of 3, which made it more difficult to see if (or rather when) I had miscounted the lace pattern. I restarted them this morning at 5:00 am, and had them finished before noon--and that included a two-hour break for housework & breakfast. Figure about 4-1/2 hours actual knitting time. It was a fun project--I'm ready to start a second pair :-)

One other thing I noticed about the pattern is the chart for the lace does not match the written instructions. I had to study the accompanying photo rather closely to figure out which was correct. It's the written. However, the chart would also make an attractive pattern so I might make my second pair using that.

Been thinking about the yarn I am spinning for my next shawl (see earlier post "Another Quiet Day"). I don't think I'm going to have enough to make a nice, long shawl. This leaves me three options: another short shawl (meh), use this yarn for something else & spin a different yarn for the shawl (hmmm), or use multiple colors (could be interesting). Of course, I'll finish spinning up the current roving & see how much I actually have before deciding.

No comments:

Post a Comment