Wednesday, September 10, 2008

a quick post before bedtime




Thought I'd post pictures of my current project: a cabled cell phone cozy. Unfortunately the cabling doesn't show up too well in the photos. A phone cozy may sound silly, but my neck & shoulders ache all the time, and I'm sure part of it is from hauling my heavy backpack/tote/purse all over creation. This way I can leave the heavy bag in the car, and just take the essentials with me into the office: cell phone, key card, car remote, and maybe a couple bucks.

Had a horror of horrors! situation today. When we first got the parakeets, the open package of food looked weird, like it had poo in it or something, so we opened up the other bag to compare & it was the same. Reading the ingredients we discovered it has dried fruit in it, and that's what we were seeing. Anyway, we used up the old food and today when I re-opened the other bag at least a half-dozen clothes moths flew out of it!!! I stared dumbstruck for a moment at the others climbing up the sides of the package, then slapped the bag shut again. It is now re-sealed and in the trash. Ralph suggested freezing it or microwaving it to kill the moths, but I just want it OUT of my house. I don't understand how they got in there, since we had re-sealed the bag (it had a ziploc top)and it's been sealed all this time. Could it have been infested at the packaging plant? UGH!!

3 comments:

  1. We buy big bags of birdseed for the outdoor feeders and there are frequently a few moths. One wonders how in those sealed plastic bags. Must be micro oxygen seeping in through the seamlines. Just open the bags outside and keep the seed in kitty litter bins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had birds, and I also now do it to fish food, I put the contents of the bags in large storage containers and put them immediately into the fridge. I don't think moths will hurt the seed, but if you ever get that creepy web=like stuff in them, throw it out immediately. Ewww...spiders!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not worried about the moths hurting the seed--I'm worried about them getting into my yarns & fibers. Anyway, we're switching from seed to a processed food that we used to give our finches. Less messy (no hulls), nutritious, smells good, and it comes in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.

    ReplyDelete