Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday--and I'm up at 5:00 am because. . . WHY?


Had a good day yesterday. I blocked the scarf on a beach towel. Hard to believe that it stretched 10" in the blocking! I'm glad I made it a bit short because now it is just the right length.

Ralph went to archery where he had a lot of fun & got some good advice about technique. I went with him & got some spinning done; finished off the one bobbin and did about 1/4 of another. After we got home I read for quite a while which was nice. Then off to Dad's for his birthday dinner. Cannot beLIEVE that I forgot to buy him a birthday card! Good thing I remembered to call him on his actual birthday.

The dinner was very good: roast pork, two kinds of po-tay-to, carrots, corn on the cob, and for dessert Sis brought a chogglit cake with strawberry jam in the middle (traditional birthday cake in our family, and Dad's favorite). Afterwards J pulled out some letters that Mom had written to one of my aunts back in the mid-60's. It was interesting & fun to read them, and a little weird too. I mean, to read in a November 1963 letter that she was pregnant, and know that it was with ME. . . . plus it was amazing how little some of us have changed (in fundamental ways, I mean) since we were 3 or 4 years old. For example she said in one letter that Sis(who was probably about 10 based on the date) had received an "A" in reading & that she read all the time, which is still true today.

Had a good lesson in how rumors get started. At the archery range, a squirrel climbed onto the arm of an unattended lawn chair and began to drink from the water glass that was in the cupholder. Someone lured it with a piece of brownie; the squirrel took it and ran up a tree with it. A young boy (about 8 or 9 I would guess) saw the squirrel eating "a donut" and I told him how it had been drinking from the cup earlier & that someone gave it a piece of brownie (even though he shouldn't have, because it's not good for them). He thought this very funny. Later I heard him tell his dad how the squirrel had been "drinking from someone's water bottle and took his donut." A while after that I heard the father saying that the "squirrels have started stealing people's food."

Gosh, I know there was more I wanted to post. . . .oh well, I'm sure it will come to me when I am away from home or otherwise unable to get to the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment