Tuesday, March 24, 2009

You say tomato, I say where'd that come from?

Ralph was doing yard work on his day off yesterday, and discovered this tomato plant growing next to the fig tree. Not 100% certain how it got there; the best I can figure is a tomato from last year's garden must have rolled under the walkway unseen, and with the recent alternating warm weather & rain, the seeds have sprouted. We had two types of tomatoes so it will be fun to see if this is from the red-fruited plant or the yellow-fruited one. I'm hoping it's yellow as I thought they were tastier than the red ones. Ralph put the masonry blocks around it to keep the dogs from trampling it.


I'm a bit worried about the quantity of yarn I have for the shawl I am working on. I've already used up half of it, and the shawl doesn't even reach my elbow yet. This picture was taken a couple days ago, so imagine it about 2" longer & you'll have a good idea of its current size. Granted it will stretch in the blocking, but I suspect it will probably only go to mid-forearm when it's done. I really prefer to have it come all the way to my wrist. I suppose I *could* frog it and knit a less yarn-intensive pattern. Yeah, like that'll happen :-) Even if it's short, the pattern is (to my eye) rather pretty and anyway I can always wear wristwarmers with it.

2 comments:

  1. Unexpected tomato plant is unexpected!
    (just wanted to prove that I still read your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will be cool to see which tomato it produces. :-) I love the shawl, and if it isn't long enough I would call it a shrug.

    ReplyDelete