Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A few thoughts on a Wednesday


Ralph is cooking dinner: grilled steak, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, garlic bread, and cinnamon apples. Yet another good reason to hang onto this guy :-)

Haven't posted on this yet, but last week we gave our houseguests their 30 day notice to leave. We've come to realize that we are not helping them by having them stay here, but rather are enabling them. As long as people keep bailing them out with money, a place to stay, etc. etc. they are not going to do what they need to do in order to get back on their feet. Some of the things they have mentioned to me (such as "thinking about" applying for a particular job but not being sure because it "only" pays $13 an hour, or sending a nasty-gram to a company after receiving a "sorry, we hired someone else" letter--then arguing with the HR rep who called to follow up) tells me that they are not as serious about looking for work as they ought to be. If someone truly wants a job, they will find one, even if it's flipping burgers or stocking shelves at the local Target. (I asked the clerk at the fast food place I went to today what he gets paid; he said $8/hour which is a heck of a lot better than $0/day!) Heck, after I left the grocery industry I signed with a temp agency & went to whatever job they offered: stuffed envelopes, collated papers, handed out fliers at a Wal-Mart, helped close out a video store, and surprisingly I learned something new at virtually every job I did.

Survivor on tonight; too bad it's just a recap episode. I don't normally watch those and probably won't watch tonight. Especially since Ralph is home.

2 comments:

  1. Your dinner has made my mouth water........yumy.
    I agree with you , any job at any pay is better than none.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was an enabler to my brother for a long time. Finally i stopped sending him and my sister in law money. They learned to get what they want and need on their own. They just bought their first place, so it worked.

    ReplyDelete