Friday, March 27, 2009

The Cat Box (kinda TMI)


Yes, that bright green spot in the photo is a little tree frog :-)


Our cat box is icky at the moment. It really needed to be changed out last week, but with one thing & another we didn't get to the pet shop to buy litter. (We don't use clay-based litters as they are not healthy for the cats, and the cats don't like the pellet-type litters; the ONLY brand the cats & I both agree on is a corn-based one that is available at ONE pet supply store in our area. The shop closes at six so there's no way for me to get there after work.) Ralph topped off the box with some leftover newspaper-based litter we had tried once & had relegated to using it in the bird's cage. The cats don't like it because it's pellet-shaped and I don't like it because it doesn't clump so there's no way to get urine-soaked litter out of the box, plus it has no odor control. Even though I've been cleaning it out, it is, frankly, stinky.

So last night Roomie B announced to me, "You need to get cat litter. The box is rather odiferous." I replied, "Yes, cat litter is a priority on Saturday; I don't really like the litter that's in there but we used what we had." Later it kind of pissed me off--perhaps if I hadn't been distracted by things like oh, I don't know, getting the dogs out of the pound and figuring out how to squeeze $544 out of our budget to pay the fines, I might have been able to get to the pet shop. I fumed about it for quite some time. This morning, however, I realized that this is typical of their behavior. They don't try to solve a problem themselves (two solutions they could have done that come to mind are a) offer to lend us some of their cat litter to change the box and b) offer to pick up a bag of litter for us since they are home most of the day anyway), but rather cry about the problem to someone else until that person solves the problem for them. That realization diffused my anger quite a bit and strengthened my resolve to stick with the 4/18 move-out deadline.

Friday today. Hope it goes by fast; I am really ready for the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Oh hell no! That would have made me so angry! You are supplying a roof over their heads and they can't get you a bag of litter? I would have upped that move date to today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I whole-heartedly agree with Cher. I know you are doing this the legal way so it doesn't come back and bite you in the butt. I'm helping you count the days until the 18th!

    ReplyDelete