Sunday, March 29, 2009

Forgot to mention yesterday



We took Hali with us to the pet supply place yesterday. While we were in line, a man came in with a large curly-coated retriever. He was looking at some items that were on an end display by the registers, and Hali was wagging her tail & prancing a bit at the sight of the retriever (of course). I said to her, "Yes, I know, it's very exciting, isn't it? You've never seen another dog before in your entire life!" The woman in the next line turned to me and said, "Excuse me?" I said, "Oh, I was talking to her (pointed at Hali)." In a very huffy voice she said, "I am NOT another dog." I tried to explain that no, I was referring to the retriever just around the corner of the counter--and of course by that point the man had moved a bit so there was no way she could have seen the dog from where she was standing. I don't think I was able to convince her that there really was a dog over there. Couldn't decide if the encounter was funny or embarrassing. . .

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I love the new format for your blog! Clicked your "funny" button, too ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is too funny! You know...she may have been mad because that was said to her before! LOL
    I have a few questions please...
    What is Navajo roving? Do you ever sell your handmade yarn? And what the heck is licorice Twist yarn? I am doing a yarn swap on Ravelry and the girl mentioned Licorice twist yarn... Hmmmm.. I bought her alpaca silk because I was stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Navaho plying (not roving) is a method of making a three-ply yarn from a single strand. It's a little bit like making a chain stitch in crochet, using your hands rather than a hook to create biiiiig loops. As you chain, you add twist via spindle or wheel to make the yarn. Hadn't heard of licorice twist before, but found this description on eBay for a skein of it: "Comes in white and when dyed one strand of the three absorbs more pigment giving a twist/tweed effect." mmmm, alpaca silk. . . and I didn't know you were on Ravelry!

    ReplyDelete