Monday, March 16, 2009

Yesterday and today

Today SUCKED. Car problems, knitting problems, computer problems, phone problems. Gah! So, I will focus on yesterday which was a wonderful day indeed.



We started our day by heading out to Madrona Marsh. As the Teeming Millions may recall, this is a vernal marsh that we unwittingly visited last August. Needless to say it was much prettier and wetter in March than in was in mid-summer. We saw dozens of Pacific tree frogs, which are tiny little critters about an inch long. I hadn't realized it before, but they come in a variety of colors from bright green to reddish brown to almost black. Didn't see too many birds, mostly mallards, although there were a few redwinged blackbirds, a couple hummingbirds, and a hawk or two. The weather was beautiful too.



Afterward, we drove around for a bit enjoying our time together, and came across a botanical garden that we hadn't even known about. Of course we had to stop and take a look. There was a small admission fee, not too bad. The garden was divided into different "climates" so there really was a large variety of plants to see: poppies in the Mediterranean garden, Moreton Bay fig trees in the banyan garden, conifers in the pine forest, and a large rose-garden-in-process. There was also a "lake" or at least that's what they called it; however, even in the middle it was so shallow that we saw a duck walking across it. Yes, walking, not swimming, although there were a few sections near the edge that were deep enough for them to swim (barely).

One interesting thing, there was a male Gadwall duck there, the only one among a large group of mallards. He spent most of his time chasing the other ducks away from the food that some visitors had put out for them; all except for one female mallard. It was obvious that they were a pair, but I thought it interesting that he had chosen a female of another species as his mate. I included a picture of the two of them in this posting.



The only blight was a rather annoying child that we came across twice in the botanical garden. Ralph thinks I was "too harsh" to him, but I disagree. We first came across him at the koi pond; he had climbed into the exhibit and was walking around in the plants. I finally asked him, "What are you doing in there where you don't belong?" He just grinned at me. I said, "Where are your parents?" "Over there" (points off into the distance). I told him, "I think you should go join them." He then ran off. We came across him later at the duck pond, again with parents nowhere in sight. They eventually came by, told him to come along, and walked off--leaving him still chasing ducks. They called him a few times but he just ignored them. After about 10 minutes or so, he went after one of the ducks joust-style with a large stick. I said in a firm voice, "OK, now that's unacceptable. You need to go with your parents now." Surprisingly he listened to me and ran after the people who SHOULD have been making him behave.



When we got home, I *finally* cast on for my Bigfoot Shawl that I have been planning on starting since October. I did mess up a bit; I did row 10 where I should have done row 8. Fortunately, they are virtually identical, merely offset by a stitch, so I did row 8 where row 10 should have gone and I don't think anyone will be able to tell by looking at it. However, don't even ask me about the goof I did this morning. Suffice it to say that I need to tink about 190 stitches to fix it. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, first off .. as I parent (and you know I am one!) the problem is not with the child. It is a problem with the parents; they should have been reported to the "authorities" for allowing their child to be destructive/disruptive.

    And I'm sorry you have to tink your shawl, but if you knew how often I've had to frog my hat you'd feel worse for me than you do for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you were harsh to the child at all. I do agree with the answer above that the parent is at fault.
    But I m glad you enjoyed yourself and you took great pics!
    Wow, that's a lot of stitches to tear out! I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete