Saturday, April 4, 2009

A fine and pleasant Saturday

Not an exciting Saturday, mind you, but a fine and pleasant one nonetheless. Our roomies were up by 7:00 or so (normally they get up between 10:00 and 11:00) which was a surprise to us. Turns out they were taking a load of their stuff up to the new digs. I was beginning to wonder if they were ever going to start packing. Two weeks to go. . .

Being Saturday, we of course went to archery which means knitting time for me. One boy came up and asked what I was making (socks) before wandering off to shoot. The woman I sat by took out her knitting, too, and we had a nice time chatting & stitching away. The boy came back after awhile and asked, "How are the socks?" When I said "Coming along nicely" he responded with an exuberant "Yay!!!" Then he asked the other woman what she was making. She replied "A baby blanket" and lifted it so he could see the pattern. He let out an "Awwwww!" in an "isn't that darling!" tone of voice. And the thing is, he sounded sincere both times. I could almost learn to like this boy. ;-)

This afternoon we did some much-needed upkeep on the pond. We both worked to move out all the plants from around it, then Ralph mended the torn liner while I re-potted those plants that needed it. We rearranged how the plants are set up around the pond, and moved some of them waaaay over by the jacuzzi instead. It's much more open and soothing now. Took us about three hours total. My hands are really dried out now from handling so much potting soil (yes, I know I should have worn my gloves). Of course, the hot shower I took afterward probably didn't help much either, especially since I kinda zoned out in there and just let the hot water pour over me for a while. Ahhhhhhh. . . .

I am really pleased (finally) with my current socks-on-the-needles. I found a simple staggered eyelet pattern for the instep, which I think will look good with the dragonscale that I will do on the leg as noted in a previous post. I'd like to knit now, but with my hands so dry I think I'll slather on some lotion & go read for a while instead.

2 comments:

  1. Is that your lemon tree? I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemon tree is in full production as always, but that is actually a picture of the larger of our two blood orange trees.

    ReplyDelete