Monday, June 1, 2009

Life is good.


The past few days have been most satisfactory. On Saturday Ralph & I went to a Civil War re-enactment at El Dorado Park. No pictures, unfortunately, as we couldn't find the camera (it has since turned up). It was fun seeing costumes other than Renaissance, and there were lots of small environmental areas: a tavern, an inn, a blacksmith, a field medic, an apothecary, and an anti-slavery movement to name a few. The war re-enactment itself was just OK for the most part; none of the soldiers seemed very excited and I would think that being in a battle would be extremely exciting (although not in a good way). However, at the end of the battle when the bugler played "Taps" everyone got very still & quiet--even the little kids & babies in the audience were quiet, as though they understood how solemn the moment was.

I also got started on a new project (today's picture): fingerless mitts using the "Wide Awake" yarn Lizard gave me for my birthday. I picked a lace pattern from "Beautiful Knitting Patterns" which I think looks really nice with this colorway. I am calling them my "LaStrange Wristwarmers" because the colors & pattern combined for some reason make me think of Bellatrix LaStrange from the "Harry Potter" series. I don't like the term "mitts" and thus I'm using "wristwarmers" even though they are really too long to be that.

Yesterday we saw "Up." Very good movie indeed! Although, there were a couple parts that made me teary-eyed & glad I was with Ralph at the time. Yeah, I know, I'm an emotional pushover :-)

Major score today--got tickets for me, Lizard & Ralph to see Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo in February. Primo seats, too--FOURTH ROW just left of center. It starts at 4:00 pm which means we'll probably either meet for a late lunch beforehand or go out to dinner afterwards. Most likely the former, so that Lizard doesn't have to drive home after dark.

Lastly, my Amazon order arrived today, woo hoo! Obviously I'll have to end the post now so I can go open the box & drool over my new knitting book.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pattern and lovely yarn. Congrats on scoring such fine tickets!

    ReplyDelete