Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathead's Day

Well, it's Fathead's Day today (as we teasingly call it). Headed over to Dad's this afternoon. Lizard is bringing cake. Not sure what I'm bringing yet. Guess I better decide.

Finished the angler fish yesterday, complete with parasitic male. I think this is the only knitting project I've ever done that ended up being educational. Did you know that the male angler is 1/10th the size of the female? And that at a certain age, his digestive system shuts down? If he doesn't find a female to attach himself to, he will starve to death. Once attached (by biting her with special teeth), his body fuses to hers and in a couple weeks he is a permanent part of her, sharing her bloodstream for nutrients. A female can have as many as six males attached to her. A perfect mutualistic symbiosis: he gets nutrition, she has a ready supply of sperm for her eggs.

Then there's the lure. Only females have them. The tip glows due to bioluminescent bacteria living in it. Some species have a second lure hanging from their belly; no one is yet sure what the purpose of this one is. Anyway, there is a great video on youtube about these amazing creatures. And because I've *never* been able to get they hyperlinks to work on blogger here is the url to copy & paste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RitJe16c3sM


As you can probably tell, not a whole lot going on today. Need to do some housework, what fun. Need to start a new knitting project. I've got a swatch on the needles right now, although I'm less than thrilled with how it's turning out. Maybe it will look better when I've completed the chart; I've only done about half of it so far.

1 comment: