Saturday, June 13, 2009

Knitting in public


Had a good time at the Knit in Public event today. Didn't get a lot of knitting done, or rather I did lots of knitting and almost as much frogging. I really shouldn't have chosen a project that requires so much counting when I knew I'd be yakking to people all day. I did manage to finish the belly of the anglerfish, and would have finished the upper lip if I had picked up the right number of stitches for it, or even if I had noticed sooner that I had the wrong number. Oh, well.

The potluck portion of it was really good, too. I finally decided to bring hot dogs, since I knew there would be a grill. Several other people brought hot dogs, too; there must have been at least three dozen weenies. I was thinking that maybe it hadn't been such a good choice since there were so many of them, but as it turned out most of the attendees had brought only side dishes & every last hot dog was eaten. There were also two kinds of pasta salad, two kinds of cucumber salad, fruit, spinach dip, several types of chips, lots of cookies, a corn casserole (similar but not identical to the one I make), bite-sized turkey wraps, and cupcakes. Oh. My. God. The cupcakes. When I first peeled the paper off mine I thought it was carrot cake & was a tad disappointed as that is not a particular favorite of mine. I bit into it and thought I'd gone to heaven. They were actually orange marmalade cupcakes with pecans and orange frosting. Absolutely incredible.

There was also a raffle at the end of the day. Everyone got one ticket for showing up, one ticket if they brought something for the freebie bin, and two tickets if they brought a prize for the raffle. I had brought some Sugar-n-Cream yarn with a pair of size 6 bamboo needles, but wasn't sure if I was going to toss it in the freebie bin or not. After about an hour I decided to do so. I am soooooo glad I did, because the ticket I got in exchange was the second number picked in the drawing! I won a skein of deep blue sock yarn--460 yards!!!!

One of Ralph's archery buddies, a woman named M, was there for part of the day. She is just learning how to knit; her current project (ribbed wristwarmers) is her very first project ever. In the course of our conversation, I found out that she knows our friend PH2; he was the best man at her wedding, although she has not seen him in several years. Small world, eh?

Right at the very end, we had "surprise guests" in the form of two newly-shorn alpaca. I tried really hard to get a good face shot of the youngest one as it had wonderful blue eyes; this is the best I was able to get. Looks better when viewed large, of course.

And lastly, the suspense is over. We have one tomato that is sufficiently ripe for us to know that the rogue plant in our backyard is (drum roll please) yellow tomatoes!! I am so happy, as the yellow ones tasted much better than the red.

1 comment:

  1. Deep blue sock yarn is always a great prize! congrats! The cupcakes sound like heaven! I'll have to look that cupcake up and get the recipe since I have never tried one.

    ReplyDelete