Monday, November 2, 2009

A few notes

Well, that was a strange Halloween. I mean, I had a good time at Duh's party, and I'm glad we went, but without the haunted house or trick-or-treaters it just doesn't feel like we had Halloween at all. Ralph feels the same & is rarin' to go with next year's haunted house.

We failed to go grocery shopping over the weekend, and so last night I was going through my cookbooks trying to find a recipe that used ingredients we already had in the house. Came across one for "Maryland Fried Chicken with Creamy Gravy" in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook which Ralph cooked up (the chicken, not the cookbook) when he got home from work today (I was stuck in traffic--gee, thanks KFI for totally NOT mentioning the two accidents on the 91 West in any of your traffic reports). Oh. My. Goodness. It was absolutely wonderful. Really flavorful, nice & juicy. Ralph says it was easy to make. Plus, since the chicken is only browned in a few tablespoons oil then simmered in milk rather than being cooked in 1/2" or more of oil, it's got less fat than your usual fried chicken. To top it off, the recipe makes six servings, which means we've got leftovers for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

Work is having a "Biggest Loser" contest. I signed up for it & had my first official weigh-in today: 167.2 is my starting point. I want to get below 160 by the end of the contest (Feb 1) which means 2.5 pounds a month. That seems achievable, plus is motivation to get me back on the dang exercise bike which I have not ridden in about a month before today. Only rode for 11-1/2 minutes but I guess that's better than zero minutes. Since I have a relatively low goal I doubt I'll win the prize ($50) although I certainly wouldn't be upset if I did :-)

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Halloween just didn't seem like halloween this year. I actualy went to bed early.

    I like the idea of a Biggest Loser contest. I think you've set a great goal. Let us know how you do. And fifty bucks can buy some nice yarn!

    ReplyDelete