Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A good weekend



OK, this is an old picture & I think I've probably used it before, however I don't have anything new so y'all will have to deal with it :-)

Had a really nice weekend. Saturday I went & bought some needles & yarn for MH at work, who wants to learn how to knit. More on that later. I also got two books at Borders and spent a lovely afternoon reading "Corpse on the Cob," the latest in the Ophelia Grey series. Ralph went out for a guys night watching boxing & drinking beer in the evening which left me to brainsuck, read, knit, and eat spaghetti to my heart's content.

Sunday was the rehearsal for Oedipus Rex, a musical/comedy version of the classic Greek tragedy, being performed by some friends of ours at the Renaissance Faire. This meant of course spending a good part of the day at Faire, and for the first time in I can't remember when I actually enjoyed myself. Bought a new Faire outfit consisting of what's called an "Irish", which is a sort of short bodice with an open-fronted skirt attached, and a yellow underskirt. The Irish is grey. I'll get pictures of it next weekend. The reasoning for the new outfit is twofold: one, my middle-class outfit, while beautiful, is hot and very heavy (about five pounds, if our scale is accurate), and two, the group with which we are gatelisted is St. Helena's, which is the guild of peasants & my middle-class outfit wasn't really appropriate.

Getting there early meant in addition to shopping time we were able to take in a show, a rather good magician that we've seen before but always enjoy. He even had a new trick to his act which was a pleasant surprise. While watching, we had yummy meat pies & split a large scone covered with fresh strawberries & whipped cream from one of our favorite food vendors. Later we also had some incredible bruschetta from the Italian vendor, with garlic, red onion, tomatoes, feta cheese, fresh basil, vinegar, and parsley all piled high on what was basically Texas toast. Sooooo good.

The rehearsal itself was great fun, too. Ralph & I play music for the show, Ralph doing the bass line on his sackbut & I play a harmony line on my recorder. Much to our surprise, we are the ONLY musicians for the show; guess no one else was available. It worked out pretty well since the actors sing the melody line.

As mentioned earlier, MH at work wants to learn to knit. Yesterday I gave her her first few lessons during breaks & lunch. She's a quick learner; I only had to show her the moves to cast on twice before she could do them on her own, and by the end of her second row (20 stitches across) no longer needed coaching. She said she was going to work on it today while waiting for her doctor's appointment. Only her second day and already knitting in public!

Nothing of note today, other than the pizza I made for dinner, or rather home-assembled for dinner. Boboli bread topped with the sauce that comes with it, grated mozzarella & Parmesan, and lots of pepperoni. Took about the same amount of time as waiting for delivery pizza, and unlike delivery was piping hot when we sat down to eat it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete