Sunday, August 23, 2009

End of the vacation


Well here it is, Sunday afternoon. I could use another week off before heading back to work, but then isn't that always the way? We really didn't *do* much on our trip, and have done even less since getting home. I did knit another octopus (I'll have to get pictures) and we took the dogs for walks. Took a short trip "to town" to get a few things, as we grossly underestimated the amount of bacon & water we'd go through, and that one short hike to Lava River Cave. Other than that, we sat in the shade, read, talked, toasted marshmallows, and generally relaxed. I did quite a bit of knitting & Ralph brought his archery stuff.

As you know from below, we got home on Friday morning. That afternoon we went to see "Julie & Julia," a marvelous, funny, wonderful movie that I highly recommend. Afterward we went to the Auld Dubliner Pub which neither of us had been to before. We split an appetizer of spicy potatoes (basically hot wings made with potatoes instead of chicken, very tasty); Ralph had the fish & chips and I had shepherd's pie. For dessert we split a very creamy creme brule. While we ate we chatted with an older guy with longish grey hair and wearing a cowboy hat--kinda looked like Sam Neill's character in "Ghostrider;" sounded a bit like him, too--and all three of us tried to make sense of the rugby game on "the telly." As best as we could figure out, the point of the game is to kill whoever has the ball, preferably by crushing him under a dogpile.

When we got home I *finally* got around to plying a couple bobbins of yarn that have been hanging around for ages. I also worked on spinning up the last little bit of some black & white wool that I bought years ago (actually, there is a rather large chunk of it left, but I got sick of the black & white and carded it all together into a nice grey; this little bit just got missed). I finished spinning that up this morning, and plied it with an orange thick/thin single that I had done up a month or so ago just for the heck of it. I've got close to 80 yards of the plied yarn & think I might make a little cat out of it. Oh, that reminds me, it's still soaking; I better go hang it to dry now.

Today's picture: Ralph & Halitosis on the shore of the Colorado River at Moabi Park, taken on August 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment