Saturday, May 14, 2011

I'm not even going to say how long it's been since I posted


Ok. Confession time. The real reason I haven't posted is because I have no good pictures to add to it. Seriously! That's why you've all been ignored, with no scintillating reading material. Or something like that. Anyway I'm bringing the camera to Faire today so hopefully I'll have some good shots.

Another reason is I was hoping to find a video to link to, but haven't been able to do so. What video, you may ask? Well, a few weeks ago I got to live a dream, and participated in a flash mob at Faire! We all gathered by the main stage, and after the Commedia burst into song. Soooo awesome. I've been told the video is on youtube, however I just can't track it down.

Today is going to be a busy day. I promised one person I'd teach him how to use a drop spindle, and someone else that I'd teach her how to knit. Someone else wants to learn how to do a purl stitch but keeps making excuses to avoid it (Yes, I mean YOU, SD!). Still, if I'm teaching one person maybe she'll come over & finally sit long enough to learn purling. I'm also bringing my wheel, which seems to be a big hit. One person even told me it was the "best gig" the guild has. A blatant exaggeration IMHO, since Helena's does so many things all the time. Heck, Helena's does more gigs with butter than some other guilds do all day! First there's the morning churning, where real butter is made. Then "Cousin Butter" makes a lovely sculpture from it (there's an article here: http://www.examiner.com/renaissance-and-medieval-events-in-los-angeles/st-helena-s-sharon-scott-creates-butter-masterpieces with a link to photos of some of her work). Lastly, the sculpture is placed on a glass-covered cake plate, paraded through the Faire and presented to the Queen. There's also singing, music, dancing, knitting, drop spindling, and juggling going on. They've even turned a puddle into a gig by "fishing" in it.

No Oedipus this year, alas. I think the actor that plays Oedipus might be having some back problems which make it impossible for him to do the show. I can't imagine anyone else doing the part. Disappointing, but no one wants him to do himself permanent injury just so we can do a play. The jokes are a little dated (na-nu, na-nu!) but it's still a wonderful show.

No comments:

Post a Comment