Saturday, July 3, 2010

'Twas the night before the fourth

Today we made a wonderful discovery. There is an Oroweat Outlet only 30 minutes away from home. We got four loaves of Baker's Best Winter Wheat (Ralph's favorite), a 24-count package of Sandwich Thins, an eight-count box of Entenmann's chocolate donuts, and a 6-count package of Thomas's English Muffins for only $9.96. The donuts & English muffins were free because we spent $10 (or close enough to it that they gave us the freebies). Even taking into account the extra gas driving there, it still saved us a lot of money. The Winter Wheat bread is $4.29 a loaf at the store, and here it was only $1.99 a loaf. The money we saved on one loaf is pretty much enough to pay for the extra gas since my car gets such good mileage.

I've got several knitting projects on the needles. Snape is barely started, and of course I haven't touched the pony (that sounds kinky!) in weeks. So of course I had to cast on a couple new items. One is the Death of Rats pattern (here's a pic of what it is supposed to look like when it's done):
I don't like how the fabric robe came out on mine, so I'm experimenting to come up with a knitted one instead. Working on the hood now & I think I've just about got it figured out. I still need to crochet the tail, and make the scythe too.

I'm also participating in a Mystery Knit Along on Ravelry. The sponsor is posting 1/4 of the pattern each week for the month of July. I've already finished the first part. I have a pretty good idea of what it's going to be based on the materials list and the pattern so far, but I'm not going to say in case one of the Teeming Millions happens to be participating as well.

Found another tasty pattern on Allrecipes.com, this one a Cabbage Roll Casserole. Basically you take all the ingredients for cabbage rolls, stir them all together and cook. The originally recipe called for baking it for 90 minutes, however I followed the advice of one of the reviewers & threw everything in a big pot and simmered it on the stove top for about 20 minutes, then topped each serving with a dollop of sour cream. It was really good, and so simple! The original recipe made 12 servings, so I cut it in half & we've got plenty left for two more meals, maybe even three if we make the servings a bit small and serve it with some buttered bread to fill in the cracks. Goodness knows we have enough bread now :-)

Today's picture is of Ralph & Sadie at the dog park last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment