Sunday, July 18, 2010

No clever title today, I'm afraid

Look! Look! I've made some progress on the pony at last. Unfortunately I need to knit a new ear as I've somehow managed to lose one of them, go figure. I suspect it's hiding with the white pipe cleaners that I need to finish the Death of Rats, and the ground cloves I wanted for the rice pudding I cooked yesterday.

I've been looking into going back to school for occupational classes, since it seems everyone on the job market today does the same type of office work that I do. The first place I checked out seemed perfect until they told me the cost. Oh. My. Gawd. They want $15,000 for an 8-month class. Their "financial aid" consists of paying half up front, and then paying a little over $1,000 a month for seven months to pay off the rest. That is NOT financial aid, that's a payment plan and not even a very good one. If I had $7,500 to plunk down and a spare $1,000 a month I wouldn't be needing financial aid now, would I?

The second place I was going to visit tomorrow, however I checked out their tuition online and discovered it's even worse; they charge by the credit hour (anywhere from $350 to $500 per credit hour, depending on the class) and when I did the math based on the lowest figures it came to over $23,000. I'm going to be cancelling my appointment.

Yesterday, I did some checking into adult schools, and that seems much more reasonable. The fall schedules aren't posted yet so I had to base my calculations on the summer schedule. Summer classes are shorter, but even tripling the cost per class it comes out to a lot less than $15,000. The schedule for fall is supposed to be posted next week so I'll be following up on that.

ComicCon is next week, and oh I wish I were going! This year sounds like it's going to be excellent: Penn & Teller will be there, and so will Danny Elfman, and one of my favorite cartoonists, Bill Amend, will be there on Friday & Saturday. That would be worth dealing with the crowds & parking. Lizard is going along with one of her Ravelry friends, who will be staying at her place for the week.

Ralph was at his aunt's place in Las Vegas for the weekend, and is on his way home now. He expects to be here soon, and we're planning on going to the movies, a real treat right now with money so tight. We want to see "Despicable Me," which I've heard is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment