Friday, September 25, 2009

Fall at last


Can't believe I've let a whole week go by without posting. But then, as usual, not a whole lot has been going on.

I had jury duty today. Not too onerous, really. The info sheet that came with the summons said that knitting needles were prohibited, so I left my project in the car. Once in the assembly room, out of all the people there who should sit next to me but a woman with a bag full of yarn & needles! I asked how she managed to get them in & she said she just showed them to the bailiff and got the OK. So of course at the break I scurried to the car & got my project. It took three people checking out the needles before I got the OK to bring them in. Made the day much more pleasant, knitting and chatting with the woman (KM, whom I shall call K from jury duty to avoid confusing her with the other KM that I know). I got called as part of a pool but didn't even make it into the jury box. Oh, fie, I realize that I gave K my blog site address but not my e-mail address. Good thing I have hers--I'll e-mail her tonight as she is going to send me a recipe for marmalade ham.

Making good progress on my current project: a short-sleeved cotton/silk top knit from the top down. I've never made a shirt before and am pleased with how this is turning out, although it is a bit heavier than I anticipated. It's done in sport weight at a gauge of 5 stitches per inch, and of course I'm used to sock yarns so really didn't anticipate how heavy it will be. Still, with fall here I'm sure the weather will start to cool down soon and the shirt will be appropriate for the season. The Polaroid in the photo is just for perspective, so you can see how much I've done.


The pirate party went well last week. Dad & J didn't stay very long; they weren't feeling too well & I think once most of the people had arrived it was just too noisy for either of them to really hear on top of that. Duh & Happy had great outfits; she had on a chenille skirt as part of her pirate-wear, and he was dressed as a seafarin' pirate captain. Yes, you've got it right--they were The Captain and Chenille. Many a groan followed that revelation. All in all there were about a dozen guests and I think everyone had a good time. Of course no one took any photos; I cheated & snapped a shot about 10 minutes ago of one of the decorations that is still up. My knit squid, octopi, and fish hats made nice additions, I think, to the pirate-y theme.

Not sure what to do with my evening. My shoulder & thumb are sore from knitting so that's out. Ralph won't be home for dinner so no reason to cook. Nothing I want to watch on TV. I took a walk during the lunch break so I don't even have to ride the exercise bike tonight, although I may do 10 minutes just to stay in the habit of using it. Or maybe I'll just read & go to bed early. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment