Saturday, August 14, 2010

Just some random thoughts


Have you ever done the right thing, and felt like a jerk for doing so? A few days ago, I was knitting in the car at work when a couple young teenage girls came up & asked me if I knew where a certain street was. I said I didn't, but would see if I could find it on the GPS. As I was powering it up, one of them said they were going to Name Of High School. I entered that & discovered they still had 2-1/2 miles to walk. They offered to pay me if I would give them a ride. I looked at them like they'd grown a couple extra heads & replied, "Don't take rides from strangers; I could be a creep for all you know." They were disappointed, but still thanked me for the information & went on their way. Now, I know I'm not a creep. I doubt they were planning on Doing Me Harm. However, a) my car is full of yarn & other things & there really isn't room for passengers; 2) I only had 10 minutes left of my break & would have been late getting back, and most importantly 3) I never give rides to, nor accept rides from, people I don't know--and neither should they. But I still feel like a jerk.

Speaking of knitting, I started a new project today. No, I haven't finished any of my WIPs, why do you ask? Anyway, it's a little tree frog that I'm making in a variegated blue yarn. It's supposed to be done in worsted but I'm using fingering weight so it's going to be really tiny when it's finished. Not sure what I'll do for eyes; it's supposed to have safety eyes but the ones I have are too big for this little thing; the washers that hold them on are wider across than the head.

Did a little cooking today, too. Made a beef roast with a recipe that uses garlic & coffee. Came out OK; a little tough, but maybe I just didn't roast it long enough. Or roasted it too long, I dunno. The gravy is good, though. I also made a lemon meringue pie, and unlike most pies that I make, I prepared the crust from scratch. Not too bad; it was also a little tough, although certainly better than any other crust I've attempted in the past. I may have worked the dough a bit too much.

Not much else going on. Still at the temp job, at least for one more week. There's a chance I'll be there for another week after that, and some slight possibility of it becoming permanent. I'll say no more as I don't want to jinx things.

Today's photos: Zoe & the neighbor's dog, Sammy, playing "Bite My Head," and the chimney of the marvelous Victorian home we saw at Heritage Square Museum last week.

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel like a jerk for reminding those girls of the dangers of riding in cars with people they don't know. For all you know, you may have saved their lives by reminding them of that and preventing them from getting into a car with a real creep down the line!

    ReplyDelete