Sunday, March 28, 2010

Good Eats


Lately I have been overcome with the desire to learn how to cook. Oh, I can make a few things such as Welsh Rarebit & Shake-n-Bake pork chops, and I can bake pretty well, but when it comes down to actual cooking I pretty much suck. So I've gone through my cookbooks & bought a couple cooking magazines only to discover that either a) all the recipes use 500 zillion ingredients, b) they use tiny amounts of really expensive seasonings, or c) they sound/taste nasty (NOTE: "dinner on a budget" recipes that call for cheap ingredients will not taste good). I only found ONE recipe that tasted good & had reasonable, easily-obtained ingredients.

Only one, that is, until yesterday, when out of desperation I pulled out a cookbook that Lizard bought me years ago because she thought it was funny: "Mary Ann's Gilligan's Island Cookbook" by Dawn Wells et. al. Thumbing through it, I found several recipes that looked good and did not have an intimidating ingredient list. I went shopping for a few ingredients, and last night made "Skipper's Simple Chicken" which really is more of a home-assembled meal rather than home-cooked. It only has 5 ingredients: chicken, a little oil in which to brown the meat, two kinds of canned soup, and cooked rice. It was sooooooooo good. I served it with peas to round out the meal. Then this morning I made the "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Casserole," a very breakfasty concoction with bacon, hard-boiled eggs, noodles, cheese, and a milk-based sauce. I was a bit leery of this one since I'm not a fan of hard-boiled eggs unless they are smushed into egg salad sammidges, but I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was. Tonight I think I'll make "Ginger's Sweet Red Pepper Sauce" (oh, rats, I forgot to buy onions) and serve it on some angel hair pasta.

Today I realized I never got a picture of Hali wearing the legwarmers I made for her (she's got arthritic knees) so I forced them on her this morning (she reeeaaally does not like wearing them) & got a couple shots. Please ignore the fact that the carpet hasn't been vacuumed yet; with four dogs and a cat in the house it's hard to keep up with all the fur.

2 comments:

  1. The legwarmers are awesome! What a fantastic idea.
    I actually have a few simple yet tasty recipes I use monthly. I'll start posting them on my blog so you can see if they are up your alley. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought of leg warmers for the dog, but heck, why not? I think they look lovely.

    If you like good, but easy to prepare meals, you might want to check out Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/30-minute-meals/recipes/index.html

    With the computer, you should have no problems at all finding quick, easy meals that require few ingredients. Good luck and have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete