Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Knitting woes again


Well, not really woes. Lots of WIPS but nothing I really want to work on right now. I really need to buckle down & frog an inch of the sweater & re-knit it while alternating skeins to break up the pooling/flashing that the peach color is insisting upon doing, but am just not ready to face ripping out approximately 1,200 stitches while simultaneously keeping track of where the three stitch markers go once everything is back on the needles. Have a Special Project that I won't detail here in case the recipient is amongst The Teeming Millions, but the first pattern I printed for it has errors & I haven't printed up the revised one, plus I'm really not in the mood to start it over. Again. I've got the scarf I've been working on since before Christmas, but that's good, mindless knitting which makes it perfect for the exercise bike. That just leaves the hermit crab, which I find is more construction than knitting: lots of picking up stitches, grafting (the shell had 270 stitches to be grafted together, yikes!), and when all that's done lots of sewing. And of course I hear the siren song of untouched skeins of yarn just begging to be cast onto needles.

Recently finished a really good book, "Dog On It" by Spencer Quinn. Unlike most mystery novels, this one dealt with a missing person rather than a murder. The main characters are Bernie, a PI, and his dog Chet. Chet narrates the books & again, unlike other books with animal narrators, he actually acts like a dog, and thinks the way one might imagine a dog thinks. I enjoyed it so much that I went to the bookstore on Saturday & bought the second one in the series ("Thereby Hangs a Tail"), even though it's only available in hardcover (I almost never buy hardcover). I just couldn't wait 9 or 10 months for the paperback to come out. I could hardly stop reading it, and had it finished by about 10:00 am on Sunday. Now I have a long wait for the next one.

1 comment:

  1. I hear the siren song of yarn to, but am trying to not start anything new right now. Thanks for the book review. I think i will hop out today and see if i can pick it up. I love mysteries.

    ReplyDelete