Monday, January 25, 2010

Knitting weekend

Wow, what a great knitting weekend! Saturday a few folks came over--Lizard, her friend L, M from archery, and TS with whom I went to high school--for a knitting day. I hadn't seen TS since we both graduated (mumblemumble) years ago. We met up through Facebook recently. I had posted something about knitting, I don't recall what, and he said he wanted to learn. Of course I immediately offered to teach him.

Anywho, they all came & I made aveglemono soup for lunch with pita chips & some store-bought cookies for dessert. TS did really well, just a bit of trouble with wrapping the yarn in the same direction every time & a little confusion with the first stitch after turning the work which resulted in a few extras on the needle, yet all in all quite a good job for his first time with the needles. He's making a little washcloth for his niece. Lizard finished up a pair of fingerless mitts, M frogged more than she knit on the polar bear she is making, L started a crochet hat, and after I got TS started I turned the heels on a pair of socks.

Yesterday Ralph was gaming with M's husband's D & D group and I got a couple more inches done on the socks. I thought about working on the hermit crab, however the last time I did so (Saturday before guests arrived) I had major troubles picking up the stitches for the claw so I'm giving that one a rest for now. I also thought about starting another earthworm (I made the one in the picture in just a couple hours last week) and then remembered I'm trying to finish up WIPS before starting anything new.



Dinner last night was beef over mashed potatoes. The original recipe was for beef over rice, however we've found it tastes even better with 'taters rather than rice. I made a double batch so there's plenty for tonight, too.

4 comments:

  1. I started knitting a few days ago. The book isn't clear about Continental, but I figured it out. The work is a bit sloppy, but I am getting there.
    I love the worm. He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And because of you mentioning it earlier, I'm making beef over rice for dinner. And I didn't start it early enough. I'm hungry ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious as to what heel you're doing on the sock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trudy! I did a short row heel (I think it's also called an hourglass heel, not sure though).

    ReplyDelete