Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pain, family, and armadillo



Two week since I've posted. It's a wonder I have any followers left!

Poor Ralph threw his back out today. He's been unable to do much of anything other than lie flat on his back; virtually anything else (including taking a deep breath) makes him groan & shout out with pain. Luckily his jury duty got postponed so he doesn't have to worry about that this week. Looks like I might have to take tomorrow off work to bring him to the doctor, though, which kinda sucks since it's my first 40-hour week in over a month.

Last Saturday was Dad's birthday. We went to Lizard's place for a potluck lunch/dinner, and she had a surprise for him: both my brothers flew down from Washington state! Dad was really happy to see them; he hadn't a clue that they were going to be there. Lizard's friend Duh (whom we've known for over 40 years & is certainly considered to be family) was there with her husband Happy, and of course The Boy & The Girl attended too. The food was yummy (two kinds of enchilada, corn casserole, refried beans, chipsnsalsa, banana cupcakes & chocolate cake) and I think everyone had a good time.



Started a new knitting project on Friday, and finished it up today. It's a little armadillo (see photos), which will be a Christmas gift for one of my nephews. I don't think he reads this blog so I'm not spoiling the surprise :-) I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was to knit up. Even the sewing up wasn't too onerous, as everything except the back is worked in the round which eliminates seaming. The pattern included a link to a tutorial on making the eyes, and it's sooooo much easier than the way I usually do them. The yarn I used for the back was too thin, so I held it double which made it too thick & the shell came out a little too large. Still, I think it looks pretty good. He's designed in such a way that you can roll him up, just like a real armadillo. Definitely have to make one of these for myself.



So, with the armadillo and the pony, I've got two gifts taken care of (or should that be "two gifts, care of which has been taken"?) Need to go through the Ravelry patterns & find a suitable toy for the third child. I'm thinking maybe the sloth that I saw the other day. That would be different, and I do try to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment