Saturday, September 18, 2010

Four-day weekend



At least, it's a four-day weekend for me, as will be the next couple of weekends. I've been dropped back to part-time employment only at my temp job, which I actually rather like. It'll give me a couple days to do housework so Ralph & I can do fun things on the weekend, not to mention I'll be available for interviews on Mondays & Tuesdays should any come along. So how am I spending my weekend? Besides being on the computer, I mean. Well, I spent last night baking fig muffins; six dozen, to be exact, most of which went into the freezer. Today I made pulled pork & have some macaroni & cheese baking in the oven to go with it.

Non-food-wise, I went to the craft store today & bought four skeins of yarn which I'm using to make scarves for Ralph & me to wear when we go to see "Deathly Hallows" when it comes out in November. I've started the first one & have great hopes for it. I picked up a new collar & name tag for Sadie, as she somehow managed to lose hers. It's not like she wanders anywhere, so they've got to be either in the house or the backyard, but I'll be darned if I can find them.



Speaking of knitting, the LYS had a big sale last week. I spent an hour there on Saturday & bought two skeins of silk which I'm going to use to make a shawl. (I would have stayed longer, but had to get to Dad's by noon for a visit & lunch out with the fambly.) I went back on Sunday and bought two skeins of cotton which I've already knit up into three washcloths; I've got enough left to make a coaster, I think. I also got some burnt orange Malabrigo sock yarn, and some cotton/acrylic bouclé that will someday be a striped scarf. Pics of the cloths (and of the Bloody Stupid Johnson hat, I promise!) are pending.



Since I don't have knitting or yarn pictures, here are a few more from weekends past. The top photo is a small waterfall on Mt. Baldy, from the hike we took a few weeks ago. Picture #2 is of the headless emu, only with a visible head this time. And a visible butt, yes, I know. Picture #3 is a display from the LA County Fair showing the process for making wine at home. You might also have noticed that I changed the photo in my blog header. That's a Northern Mockingbird; I took that photo in Ontario CA oh, must have been close to two years ago.

OH! Almost forgot. There's been an ice-cream truck coming through the neighborhood lately, and it's got the most eclectic medley of tunes I have ever heard. Many of them are Christmas carols--"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Jingle Bells," and "Joy to the World," to name a few--but there's also "Little Brown Jug," "Happy Birthday," "My Darling Clementine" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic." Very strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment