Sunday, March 13, 2011

Some random thoughts


It never ceases to amaze me what people will post on the internet. Don't they realize how absolutely public it really is? For example, the other day a friend on Facebook posted a request for some mason jars. Another friend of hers, whom I do not know, responded that her mother had some, and then posted her mother's phone number. I commented to that person, "Um, Person, you do realize you just gave your mother's phone number to the entire internet, right?" With websites such as STFU Parents and Failbook, you'd think people would know that all it takes is a screen shot. Amazing.

One of today's pictures is of a white rhino at the San Diego Safari Park. She is past breeding age, and so is not part of the park's program to increase the rhino population (they are an endangered species). The tour guide said her horns look odd because she doesn't grind them against objects the way rhinos usually do, so the park rangers have to give her occasional "manicures."




I'm almost 3/4 of the way finished with my shawl. I really like how it is turning out. The only thing I don't care for is the one edge has yarnovers all along it, but the corresponding edge does not. If I make it again, I will use a different increase so the sides match better. Probably a lifted left increase, as I think that would best match the knit two togethers that are along the other edge. (For you non-knitters, yarnovers leave a hole & lifted increases do not.)

Folgers makes these flavored coffees, the best (IMHO) of which is the chocolate silk. Of course the store nearest our house stopped carrying that flavor, although it does carry the others. Last week I decided to see if I could find a store nearby that has it. According to the Folgers website, the closest store is 50 miles away--but the site included a link to the Smuckers Online Catalog (who knew they are the same company?) and I was able to order it there. Unfortunately it only comes in a case (six jars) but it was a reasonable price so I went ahead and ordered some. It arrived on Friday and mmmmmmmmm we have really enjoyed it these last two mornings. I'd almost forgotten how good it is.

I went to the yarn store yesterday. Oddly enough, I didn't buy anything. Oh, I found a few skeins that I really liked, but they were similar to yarns I already have & after months of frugality I just didn't see the need to pay $25-$30 for something that is similar to what I've already got. I *did* buy a skein off of an Etsy site, though; a lovely sock yarn in black & orange. The colorway is called "Monarch Butterfly" and it's really gorgeous. I'll take pics when it arrives.

1 comment:

  1. That's crazy how some people will just post anything! Don't feel bad about the coffee. I buy bar soap in bulk from a woman who makes it on the internet. LOL
    I can't wait to see your finished shawl!

    ReplyDelete