Sunday, June 17, 2012

Don't faint; I'm posting something.

Hmm, now that hasn't happened in a while; I actually remembered my password to Blogger. Of course, when you post once a month or less, forgetting the password isn't exactly unexpected. Today's first pic is a swainson's thrush. This guy knocked himself silly against our window last month. When it was obvious he was on his way to recovery I took a few pictures (it seemed a bit morbid to do so when I wasn't sure he would live or not. "Hey, look at this photo I took of a dying bird.") This one came out the best. All the dust & dog hair on him is from his collision with the screen. He flew away a few minutes after this was taken. The second pic is the tote bag I'm working on. It's the same pattern I used last time (Mrs. Weasley's Bag of Stitch Witchery) only I'm using three colors instead of four, and as my long-time readers will notice it's in a much more subtle color theme as well. It's almost done; all the knitting is finished and I've bought the necessary items for the lining & handles. Now I just need to suck it up and do the sewing part. Sorry about the poor staging of the bag. I realized it was all crumpled after I took the picture, and for some reason my camera decided not to recognize the card on the next three I took & the pictures didn't come out at all. Guess I'll have to reformat the card. Missed out on an impromptu class reunion last night--30 years to the day since graduation. Funny, it doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess everyone says that when their 30th comes around. By the time I found out about it, it was already close to 8:30 pm & far too late for me to be getting ready to go out for the evening. Ah, well, maybe there'll be another get-together in the not-too-distant future and I'll be able to attend that one. Work is tremendously busy right now, with fiscal year end fast approaching and closings coming thick & fast. Normally we've got between 10 & 20 closings in a month, compared to May with 80 closings and June with approximately 30 already done and another 85 or thereabouts to go. Things will slow considerably in July, of course. I'm taking some vacation time the first week of July--I'm gonna need it! No plans to go anywhere, just going to crash at home with the dogs & my knitting. Had a weird thing happen while I was spinning. The strand of yarn came apart (not enough twist) which isn't *too* unusual, but what was weird is the end still attached to the bobbin completely vanished. I'm guessing it pulled apart somewhere under the top layers of wrapped yarn, but I'll be doggoned if I can find it. Rather annoying, really. The roving I bought was three pieces braided together before being space-dyed, so when you unbraided it there were three identically dyed strips. I was planning on spinning each strip separately so that when I plied the three bobbins together I'd have nice long stretches of color. However, with the end being lost I'm not going to be able to use the second bobbin, and I spun planning on a three-ply. It'll be thinner than I like if I only do two. I do have another of the braided rovings in a different colorway, but darn it I already had one strip done & well onto the next. I know, I know, first world problem. Hmm, also weird--when I preview this, all the spaces I put in between paragraphs disappear, and so did the post title. Sorry if this is hard to read--I swear I didn't type it all as one long entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment