Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A super Super Bowl Sunday


I haven't taken any new pictures lately, so y'all are treated to another view of the socks I posted last time. I still need to get a photo of the most recent pair that I finished.

Had a *very* busy weekend. Ralph had the day off on Friday so we did some puttering about, including a trip to the local nursery. We now have a very small vegetable garden consisting of two cauliflower plants, one each of three different kinds of lettuce, and a basil plant. We've also got a yellow tomato which still needs to be put into the ground. As we were planting the last lettuce, I stepped at the edge of the garden & my foot sank--gopher hole! Augh! We basically gave him a salad bar right outside his door. Ralph has put down some gopher bait & hopefully this will work.

We also got a call from Dad on Friday, and made arrangements to meet for dinner on Saturday. We all got together in the early afternoon (Lizard, The Boy & The Girl were also invited) & as usual yakked for quite a while. Dinner was at Outback Steakhouse where we got fantastic service. Bread was brought on a regular basis & water glasses were refilled without anyone having to ask. We tipped the waiter very well (more than 20%). The food was delicious, too. I had the BBQ Mixed Grill: a small serving of ribs, grilled chicken, three large coconut shrimp, and mashed potatoes. YUM! Then Ralph & I split a Cinnamon Oblivion for dessert.

Sunday morning brought a last-minute invitation to a Puppy Bowl party. It's like a Super Bowl party, only we watched Animal Planet instead. It didn't start until 2:00, which gave us time to whip up some of Ralph's famous homemade guacamole and a fresh steamed chocolate pudding. The hosts also provided a fine array of goodies including bacon-wrapped drumsticks & some fantastic Asiago cheese spread with ranch crackers.

Monday I went shopping for work clothes. I made the wonderful discovery of not one, but two shops in the local mall that carry business attire at reasonable prices. I got a blazer, three skirts, and a couple shirts. Oh, and a coat which I ended up bringing back yesterday for a larger size. It fit OK, but I realized if I had winter clothes on under it rather than the shorts & t-shirt I wore out shopping it would be just a little too snug. The only downside to the trips was the overly aggressive salespeople at the skin care kiosks. I passed several of them, and they are really pushy about trying to get you to sample their products. I generally had to tell them "No, thank you" at least six times before I could get away, and even then they look at you like you're the one being rude.

Yesterday I got assigned my "swapner" for the Pi Day Swap on Ravelry. Of course that meant I spent all afternoon online looking at potential items & placing an order or two (I'm not going to say what I looked at or what I got, since my blog can be accessed through Ravelry & I don't want to spoil the surprise). The swap box is supposed to contain yarn, a hand-crafted item, and some goodies/toys relating in some way to either pi or pie. I've already started on the hand-crafted item & have a few ideas regarding the pi/pie goodies. My swapner has requested no baked goods, which makes it easier as I don't have to try to figure out how to ship a pie to Utah :-)

2 comments:

  1. Puppy Bowl sounds awesome. And whoever your swapner in Utah is, they are in for a real treat! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a Puppy Bowl party- I watch every year, but usually at home alone, while the hubby is at a Super Bowl party. I think next year I'll have to host a get together for everyone who'd rather watch Animal Planet!

    Also the swap thing sounds really cool. I haven't heard of it before. Maybe I'll check it out on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete